Himalay Unnati Mission Secretariat
Air Marshal Vijay Pal Singh Rana PVSM, VSM (Retd)
INTRODUCTION – Served in Indian air Force for 37 years
Served at the apex level in IAF Administration, as ‘Air Force Officer in Charge Administration’ (AOA). Contributed immensely in field operations, including Operation Kargil and Operation Parakram.
Post Graduation in 2 Disciplines – Defense & Strategic Studies, Plant breeding & genetics.
Post Graduate diplomas in 2 disciplines – Public Administration & Business Administration. Underwent prestigious “Advance Professional programme in Public Administration” (APPPA) course at Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA).
COVID Task Force Commander
Disaster Management and Disaster avoidance expert
For >2 years coordinated all issues related to COVID at national level including:
- Prep & set up of Isolation & Quarantine facilities for evacuees from foreign countries.
- Procurement and setting up of oxygen generation plants.
- Overseeing the complete healthcare system and its resources including manpower & guidelines in this regard for all AF bases.
Worked as Director, Principal Director, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Director General and finally as head of Administration of IAF as AOA
- Delivered a large number of solar power projects and Rainwater Harvesting all over the Air Force for >50 AF Bases.
- Chief Administrative Officer of two fighter bases.
- Welfare of all Air Force personnel their families as well as veterans.
- Led several key operational infrastructure projects involving intricate project & human resource management at working level.
- Delivered a number of infrastructure projects for induction of aircraft and weapon systems like Rafale, Chinook, Apache, MLH, MRSAM etc.
- Undertook ‘Runway Resurfacing’ work for >20 military and dual usage airfields.
Director of Operations for 2 years for development & operationalisation of
Integrated Air Command and Control System – IACCS
- IACCS is now the backbone of all Air Operations.
- Drafted intricate Standard Operating Procedures for joint Air Defense and IACCS.
- Commanded a Unit and participated in active operations during Kargil operations.
- During Operation Parakram, worked on the integrated procedure of Joint Air Defense Operations during conflict in the northern sector to ensure smooth and well-coordinated operations.
Held several key training and instructional appointments in India & abroad
- Commandant at Air Force Administrative College (AFAC) – AFAC imparts holistic training to officers at all levels (4 yrs to 20 yrs service) in programmes related to administration, finance, legal, security, behavioural science & operations.
- Instructor at prestigious Defense Services Staff College Wellington
- Instructor at Defense Services Command and Staff College in Zambia.
- Drafted several operational and administrative manuals including Integrated operations, Joint operations, Manual of Administration (Revised), Manual of Security and Manual of Runway Resurfacing.
- Written articles on environmental issues in various publications.
- Param Vishisht Seva Medal – 26 Jan 22. Highest Presidential Award for dedication to service of exceptional order.
- Vishisht Seva Medal – 26 Jan 14: Third highest Presidential award for very high order of service to the nation.
- Commendation by Chief of the Air Staff – 26 Jan 95. For exceptional contribution to the Indian Air Force.
ADDITIONAL KEY APPOINTMENTS
- President Services Sports Control Board – A tri-services board for formulation & implementation of policies related to selection and conduct of sports across all services.
- Chairman Principal Supply Officers committee – A tri-service committee at Service Head Quarters level responsible for policy formulation and implementation on accommodation, canteen, ration, welfare etc.
- Chairman Sainik Schools in Karnataka.
- Chairman Air Force Naval Housing Board managing a large number of housing projects all over India.
- Chairman, Air Force Education and Cultural Society responsible for overall management of 132 Air Force Schools all over the country.
- Jury Member of Corporate Social Responsibility Awards in 2022.
- Fields of Interest
- Disaster Avoidance Disaster management and healthcare administration.
- Environmental Initiatives: Solar Energy, Water Management and environmental conservation.
- Social Development initiatives for upliftment of disadvantaged and marginalized populace.
- Policy formulation and Management of educational institutes.
Social Welfare- To make a difference in people’s lives at grass root level, specifically in hills as I do understand the problems well , having been born and brought up in Garhwal Uttarakhand.
Sports and Adventure Management – Policy formulation, implementation and management of sports. Being a qualified mountaineer would like to work in mountainous region.